The purposes of the SACSA Research & Assessment Committee are to encourage research in the college student affairs field; to provide current research and reports to the membership in a timely manner; and to coordinate the selection and awarding of the SACSA Research Incentive Grant and the Dissertation of the Year Award. Both awards are presented at the annual conference awards and recognition luncheon.
Supported by the SACSA Foundation via the generous donations of its membership, SACSA encourages scholarly inquiry among its membership by annually awarding small grants to advance proposed research projects. Any individual or research team may apply for these competitive grants. The average award granted a single project is $500. However, the selection committee may choose to award funds in excess of this amount to grant proposals they feel are exceptional. Multiple research grants may be awarded in a given year depending on the availability of funding and the discretion of the selection committee.
Click here for additional information about the 2019 Research Grant application process, including evaluation criteria, qualifications, application requirements, and submission guidelines. Grant proposals are due no later than August 16th at 11:59 p.m. CDT and should be submitted via email attachment to Dr. Danielle K. Molina. Please make the subject of your e-mail submission “SACSA 2019 RESEARCH GRANT SUBMISSION.”
2018 Research Grant Recipients
The Research & Assessment Committee is pleased to announce the following recipients of the 2018 research grant competition:
- Jemilia Davis, North Carolina State University - Chief Student Affairs Officers’ influence on campus culture to promote postsecondary achievement among students of color
- Dustin Evatt-Young, Appalachian State University - Exploring the experiences of White higher education administrators engaging in diversity, equity, and inclusion affairs
- Lamesha Andrews, University of Georgia - She persisted: First-Generation Black Women along their doctoral journey at a Predominantly White Institution
- Katherine Burr & Dr. Merrily Dunn, University of Georgia - Examining a new student convocation ceremony as a campus ritual
Requests for SACSA Data
The Research & Assessment Committee is also responsible for approving requests to use SACSA information (e.g., membership lists) for advancing research projects. Please note the following requirements for such requests: The Research & Assessment Committee will review the study, the IRB, and make a decision on approving the study. Persons or groups who want to survey or use the SACSA membership list for research purposes should follow this protocol.
- Submit a written request (email) to the Research & Assessment Committee Chair. This request should include detailed information about the research study and the IRB approval form.
- This request is reviewed by the Research & Assessment Chair and committee.
- If the request is approved, the chair will submit the proposal to the VP for submission to the Executive Council (EC).
- The VP will forward the request to the EC with a motion to approve.
- The applicant will receive an official letter/email informing him/her of the final decision. This letter will include any associated costs (if applicable), the reason for denial or conditions of approval, and contact information for those involved in supporting the research.
Please submit the request, information regarding the research study, and IRB approval document to Dr. Danielle Molina.